Sunday, December 12, 2010

A reason for the season - for all of us

As Kramer from “Seinfeld” might say, it’s a Chanukah miracle!!!

The word “Christmas” was removed from the 15-foot-high “Christmas Village” sign welcoming visitors to a Christmas market in front of Philadelphia’s City Hall by order of Managing Director Richard Negrin on Nov. 29. Some city workers and visitors griped about a religious sign on public property.

Come Chanukah eve, Dec. 1, Mayor Michael Nutter countermanded the order so Christmas could become part of the sign once again. Next morning, 25 days before the big day, a Philadelphia Daily News headline proclaimed: “Nutter saves Christmas!”

Each year we must contend with such episodes. After 2010 years, maybe it is time for a meeting of the spiritual minds to offer understanding and determine how the holiday season can bring us together.

I have observed many good friends beam as they prepared Christmas decorations at the officer or smile broadly as they wished me “Merry Christmas.” Christmas is important to millions of Americans and I have in the past expended efforts to help my Christians friends enjoy it.

However, lovers of Christmas need to understand how the holiday season affects others. At the very least, the remainder of the non-Christmas celebrating world is overwhelmed with reminders of a holiday that is foreign to us. Jews in particular do not mention Jesus in our religious traditions, and so we feel left out of a holiday that appears to be celebrated by almost everyone we encounter.

Historically, Jews have legitimate reason to be downright bitter about all Christian holidays. Christianity gave us not only Christmas and Easter but also the Crusades and the Inquisition, and it laid the foundation for the Holocaust.

Many Jews have personally experienced anti-Semitism. A Jew contending with a hostile environment could be subjected to nasty treatment for the first 11 months of the year, and then finds that people around him will be indignant if he does not catch the holiday spirit.

I fully understand that Christianity has evolved into a force that is far more civil as contrasted to earlier times, though it has taken some troubling turns. I find that gracious, kindhearted Christians are more the rule than the exception. The United States has been welcoming to the Jewish people, so I figure I can tolerate some discomfort.

Most Christians I know do not treat me as an outsider and celebrate Christmas because they love it, not as an instrument to denigrate other religions. I take their “Happy Hanukkah” greetings as a well-intentioned gesture to recognize the validity of Judaism. At the same time, they may not understand that we do not recognize Hanukkah as an important holiday.

I have found that one way to reward deeds of friendship is to make their holidays more joyous. Years ago, I spelled a woman assigned to work Christmas so that she could join her family for the holiday dinner. At the office, I do not complain about Christmas decorations or holiday talk because I figure, to paraphrase a song title, Christians just want to have fun.

I was initially against the Christmas Village at City Hall, but it occurred to me that other religious symbols are allowed on public property - most notably for an annual Menorah-lighting ceremony held near Independence Hall.

The local religious wars seemed to escalate a tad when a co-worker wore a button on her blouse stating: “It is okay to wish me a Merry Christmas.” This refers to the neutral practice of wishing others “Happy Holidays.” It is understandable that some people innocently greet others with “Merry Christmas” out of habit, but there are those who deliberately apply the greeting to those they know who do not celebrate Christmas. I believe that most people fall into the first category and should not be condemned for an honest mistake.

Maybe we should anoint a panel of wise, sensible folks to mediate holiday disputes. On a national or local basis, or both, a group of sages of different religions - imams, priests, rabbis and ministers - could convene in good fellowship and devise a list of do’s and don’t’s for the holiday season. Most of all, they can offer a reason for the season in which we can all delight.

I know many fine statements have been made that can qualify for this message, but they escape me for the moment. I must continue to search.

Meanwhile, I wish you all peace on earth and goodwill to men…and women.

No comments: